Natural gas venting from a pipeline northwest of Portland caused a brief evacuation of some residents of Sauvie Island.
Spokeswoman Michele Swaner of the Williams pipeline company said workers determined that the gas hadn't ignited. Multnomah County officials earlier said there had been a fire.
Swaner said the company was still trying to determine exactly what happened at a point in the system where the company delivers natural gas to a utility company. She said workers were looking at a regulator that may have failed, causing relief valves to go off.
Residents reported the venting lasted about an hour until the pipeline was shut down. The island is largely farms and wildlife habitat. Some residents live on floating homes.