Medford Fire and Rescue says they have determined the cause of the fire at Marie Callendar's last week. After digging through debris and studying fire patterns, investigators have surmised the fire started in the attic above the office and was caused by an electrical failure.
The fire caused approximately $2 million in damage. There were no injuries to firefighters or restaurant employees.
Prior to becoming Marie Callendar's, the building housed the Wild Plum. Built in 1984, there was no requirement for the building to have an automatic sprinkler system. Today, such a system would be required. Fire officials say a sprinkler system would have most likely suppressed the fire and limited damage.